Sunday, May 21, 2006

Five Dice

Ok, in case you have never watched or played craps...

The game starts with 5 dice for a shooter to choose 2 from. The remaining 3 are returned to the dealer with the stick and the shooters throws his 2 dice to the other side of the table. That is how the game begins.

Last night, a 50-something man buys in big (big for us) with 400.00, on 2nd base side, I am on 3rd base watching my own side. He puts 100 on the line. The 5 dice are presented to him. Suddenly in front of me I see a splash of 5 dice, I'm in shock look up at Matt on stick and Matt states "That's a 1st!" then he corrals the dice and asks the shooter to pick only 2 next time. I'm thinking to say, but don't "Oh it's ok you just pick the 2 you like after they land..."

I had a good laugh at the shooters expense.

This one Trumps a previous story, that probably happened before I started to blog. Flashing back, I sent the dice to the shooter who properly picked 2 dice and sent them flying to the other side of the table and before I could even call the roll the player at the other end of the table grabs em up and throws them back. All I could say saw "Uhh, no roll..."

Mostly I hate dumb@$$es who don't know the etiquette of the game... those who shake and roll the dice with 2 hands, those who pick up the 2 dice then proceed to walk around with them, and then there is that one guy who threw then the wrong direction, which was only about a 2 foot length of a roll for him... and the naive little ladies to roll them into whats nearly a Yatzee DROP right infront of them, not a roll at all. The metaphoric wrong-answer buzzer goes off "try again!"

God help me get out of the Kiddie Pool soon! I think I might drown in the shallow waters...

6 comments:

FleaStiff said...

Okay. I ain't dumb enough to pick up all five of the dice, I like to just pick up the two closest to me and toss them to the other end of the table.
Some questions: Why does the stickman send them out to me so that three out of the five are equally close to me?
How long should I pause between picking them up and tossing them. I don't think the stickman likes me when he has three dice in front of me, an empty bowl and two dice already landed at the other end.

DiceGRRL said...

fleastiff,
what you do with picking the 2 closest dice is common.

its probably a coincidence when the dice are delivered with 3 closest to you. depending on where you play- the dealer might not be experienced enough to handle pushing all 5 in a row to you.

when you have the dice and are ready to throw, theres not 'time' you should wait but it is good to keep the game pace up and going, don't fondle the dice much, just toss. pick them up, look to see if anyone might be in your way, then go for it!

i do not understand your last inquiry "I don't think the stickman likes me when he has three dice in front of me, an empty bowl and two dice already landed at the other end."
if you already threw your two dice and didn't give him/her time to pick up the other three and get out of your way to throw. we get hit with discourteous dice throws all the time and its not nice.

I got hit today, infact! it makes me want to bonk the shooter int he head with the stick!

hope that helps and thanks for reading!

FleaStiff said...

Okay... I take it then that I should pause a bit and not throw them too promptly. I've been making an effort to just pick up the two closest ones and toss them right away without any delay and I noticed recently that the stickman didn't seem to like it when I tossed them so promptly, but he never said anything and I wasn't sure. Tnx.

DiceGRRL said...

well let me tell you from experience, than when i am leaning into the table to pick up the other 3 dice and i get whacked in the face with flying dice that feel like they were flying 35mph, i could just jump across the table and kick some ass, if the boxman would let me. LOL... but the corners of them babies are sharp esp at the beginning of a shift when they pull out new sets!

FleaStiff said...

Oh, no. I don't think I've EVER hit a stickman with the dice or even come close.
I did hit a player's hands once but that player was at the "goal post" end of the table and had his hands hanging slightly over the rail.
I keep hearing stories of other people throwing dice at the crew or down ladies blouses or something but I generally get the dice where I'm supposed to get them. (Okay, I occasionally get a warning about 'hit the backboard' or 'suspicious roll'...but darn few times! Occasionally one is off the table but very, very few times). By the way, just exactly where are we supposed to aim the dice? At the backboard itself or at the far end of the table so that they bounce off the table and into the backboard?

DiceGRRL said...

yeah players who have their hands in the table when the shooter is ready should be hit with the dice, in my own annoyed opinion.

dice bounce out of the table all of the damn time too, you aren't the only one who does it.

where you should aim the dice when you throw depends on how you throw. we have an infamous saying about "feed the chickens" - gently but firmly underhand roll them out so that they may hit the "come" on the other end then bounce on to the wall...