Saturday, June 09, 2007

Maverick

Well once in a while I am scheduled to deal at the Pink Chicken, today was one of them. I was reluctant as the amount of walking to any given pit and up/down stairs all day! I was getting pretty sore in my heels and not having fun. But then I got sent to the Island pit, a full table of all guys, and had no idea what was in store. 1st seat only lasted about 4 hands. 3rd seat not much longer after than and 2 other men came n went filling and ditching that seat. 4th seat a self kept Asian man. 5th seat was a pretty nice guy with a tell it like it is personality. Which leads me back to 2nd seat, who brought out the best in 5th seats personality! Then my wit broke out!

Did I mention it's Blackjack, which made me even more reluctant to be there.

Ok so as time told, the acts of 2nd seat are what drove off the players in 3rd seat and ran 1st seat out of money. Things like staying on 13 with a 9 showing for the dealer, hitting on 13 when I had a 6 showing. And every time the 5th seat had a comment like "Oh we don't hit 13 now" or "Oh Cowboy style now" and it went on the whole 40 minutes I was there! Then it happened... I said "Man I could write a book!"

5th seat: "I'd buy it!"
2nd seat: "Well it depends on what it's called, it's all about the title..."
Me: I looked 2nd set straight in the eye and said "What's YOUR NAME?"

2nd seat jabbers on not getting the joke about what his name is officially and 5th seat knowing dealer to player etiquette reached out for knuckle pounds with me and we both busted up laughing... Then 5th seat chimes in and said "Well We will just call you MAVERICK!" In reference to his previous cowboy comment.

It was hilarious, but sad the hands he was wrecking. There was no way to tell him sometimes you have to just take one for the team, as everyone in a hand would lose but him with his 13 stayed on and my 9 up.

3 hours later I am in the same pit but different table, I glance over he is still there but with all new players around him.

Well I didn't make a book out of it, but a blog entry seems appropriate!

2 comments:

Foolscap said...

I'm curious about the comment you made, taking one for the team if you are at the (1 seat?) to the right of the dealer. It's actually one of the reasons I don't care for BJ much, the mentality that I should play different so that others can win. I realize as a dealer it probably irks you (less tips from losing players) and as a player in the 2-5 seats it sucks to watch some donkey hitting 17 when the dealer is showing a nice 6, but my question would be do people really play that position and enjoy it?

I've always had the mindset of, if
you want to cover my bets I'll play however you want, otherwise shush up, but I also realize that there is a certain degree of protocol and community odds you need to work with. A good example would be if I'm sitting on say 12, rest of the table has 16+ and the dealer is showing a 5 or 6. I mean, I'll get a ton of flak if I take a hit and get her bust card, but at the same time no one cares when she stays on a 17 and everyone else pushes or wins while she rakes my chips :)

Just wanted your thoughts on the matter, if you care to expand on them. Other than that great blog, came here from your husband's site and I'm enjoying yours just as much.

DiceGRRL said...

i wrote this story a long time ago... wow!

well, as far as 1st seat taking one for the team on a BJ game, DONT DO IT. just look out for yourself! if you want/need a card hit, if you have a good hand as is then stand. period.

i still despise blackjack!